REPORT CARD: National Restaurant Association
Overview: They comprise 945,000 restaurants and foodservice outlets employing more than 13 million people.
1. Allow associate memberships? Yes and can use their logo, attend their annual show, get free newsletter but no mention of accessing their directory. But not cheap and membership is based on your revenue. Lowest level membership is more than $500 annually. “B-”
2. Make membership directory public? Doesn’t appear that they have a directory. “F”
3. Active national conference? Yes, has an annual conference that non-members can attend. Also has a very thorough list of exhibitors at their annual conference arranged by categories. Great industry intel; can see the breakdown of products associated with the restaurant industry as well as the providers and all for free. “A”
4. Subchapters or regional associations? Yes. Treats state associations as partners who have their own websites and further breakdown of chapters. “B”
5. Industry reports, information, news? Yes, most of it is for purchase but can sign up for free industry newsletter as well as get basic industry facts for free.
6. Glossary of industry terms? No “F”
7. What sense does it give you of the industry and people in it? Very good. They have a thorough public policy and legislative section that outlines lots of issues the restaurant industry faces and their position on those issue. This give you an excellent set of “listening points” were you to engage people in the restaurant industry. “A”
Overall: This is an information rich site with lots of great resources, many of them available for free. In short order (no pun intended) you could get very acquainted with this industry and how to do business with it from reviewing this association site. “A-”